27th Annual Midnight Sun 7s Rugby Tournament
June (Friday) 9 & (Saturday) 10, 2023
Featuring over 19 hours of daylight, why not play until the sun sets?
The Alaska Midnight Sun 7s Rugby Tournament is built around a spirit of adventure in America’s Last Frontier. The Alaska Midnight Sun 7s is an annual competition between Alaskan Clubs and international and domestic travel sides, whose fastest and smartest rugby players compete against each other to win the title. Alaska Midnight Sun 7’s started in 1996. Since then, the tournament has given hundreds of ruggers the opportunity to play the sport they love while experiencing the unique Alaskan culture and making new friends.
Beginning in 2016, the tournament welcomed professional teams from Canada, Australia, California, Hawaii, St Louis, and New Zealand, bringing it a step closer to the elite stage. Alaska Midnight Sun 7s is sanctioned by USA Rugby. Featuring over 19 hours of daylight, the emphasis is on getting the maximum amount of fun from it. 2021 welcomes over 30 teams and participants will find themselves mixing and meeting with some of life’s most unforgettable characters.
There are both Men’s and Women’s Club Divisions and Trophy/Cash Prize for winners!
Register your team in advance and reserve your spot, once filled we will not accept any more for 2023.
All teams will be entitled to have the following members in attendance: up to 12 players; up to 3 managers; teams will be entitled to also bring a doctor or physiotherapist at their discretion. Minimum team requirements are: 7 players and one coach certified and registered with USA Rugby.
To register, visit THIS LINK
Sponsorship and Event Partners
This is an unique opportunity for companies who do business in Alaska to separate themselves from the rest, by being part of the fastest growing and newest Olympic sports, capitalizing on the buzz from the USA hosting the Rugby World Cup 7s in July 2018 and the now 2021 Summer Olympics, and our venue is one of the top 10 worlds most beautiful pitches. Contact us to see what we have available.
Tournament Rules and Regulations
Advancement in 7s Play
- Points will be awarded to teams based on their results in their preliminary rounds
- 3 points for a win,
- 2 points for a draw,
- 1 point for a loss,
- 0 points for a forfeit.
- Ties remain standing in preliminary matches; there is no overtime.
- If at the completion of the preliminary rounds, two teams have the same number of points, the following procedure will be used to determine the leading team:
- The winner of the match between the teams, if one occurred, shall be deemed the leading team. If the match in (i) is drawn, then the team with the highest point differential (points scored for less point scored against) shall be deemed the leading team. If the tie remains unresolved then, The team with the highest margin of tries scored for and against shall be deemed the leading team. If the tie remains unresolved then, The team that has scored the highest number of points shall be deemed the leading team. If the tie remains unresolved, then The team that has scored the highest number of tries shall be deemed the leading team. If more than two teams are tied, then rules ii, iii, iv and v from above apply. If teams are still tied after consideration of above, the winner will be decided by the toss of a coin.
- TryDive: The pond located behind the in-goal area, south side of the pitch, is part of the In-goal area. Any players decide to ground the ball in the pond is a TRY. Special Tournament Rules When scoring on the side of the AMRG pitch with the pond, if the ball is touched down in the pond via a special, Alaska Famous “TRY DIVE,” conversion points are AUTOMATICALLY applied to the try without the need to kick. Kicking to touch on the side of the pitch with the drop off is not allowed. Instead, if you would like to reset for a lineout on a penalty on that side, notify the ref and you will be given 25 m for a lineout from the mark.
- Kicking Special law at AMRG: Kicking to touch on the side of the pitch with the drop off is not allowed. Instead, if you would like to reset for a lineout on a penalty on that side, notify the ref and you will be given 25 m for a lineout from the mark.
- All matches shall be played according to the World Rugby Sevens Regulations and Laws of the Game with Seven-a-side variations.
- All teams will be entitled to have the following members in attendance: up to 12 players; up to 3 managers; teams will be entitled to also bring a doctor or physiotherapist at their discretion. Minimum team requirements are: 7 players and one Lvl 200 coach certified and registered with USA Rugby.